When we started homeschooling our girls this year a few people asked how we would plan our lessons and what would we use to teach them. At first we planned to use traditional textbooks and worksheets. Then we discovered lapbooking. I was hopeful but I waited to see how my girls reacted. They loved lapbooking! My four-year-old called it a pop up book of fun stuff to learn.
After we learned about lapbooking, we soon were told about Hands Of a Child lap-booking project packs. I was not sure what to expect.
Recently I was able to review a lap-book project pack and I was so impressed that I plan to use Hands Of a Child project packs in our school.
The pack I reviewed was Foundations for Chemistry. They put plenty of material in this pack. With this pack YOU DO NOT need to have a great understanding of Chemistry to teach this to your children. The information is included and there are experiments with instructions, too.
Some of the topics covered included; Introductions to Matter, Atoms, Molecules and Elements, an introduction to the periodic table, Chemical Reactions and there are 20 activities that help illustrate new concepts. The pack includes instructions for each activity so I was not intimidated buy the large amount of material available. There were even a few pictures of what the finished product looked like.
I photocopied the pages with the activities so that we could cut them out and then I read to them the instructions. We studied about an early scientist and we did several science experiments. Amber ( age 6) most enjoyed experimenting with odors in the air. Abby ( age 4) most enjoyed the Matter Scavenger Hunt. When we were done with our lessons, we put all the notes into the lapbook. This was another fun part for the girls. We folded, glued and assembled the different sections to the book. After we were done the girls were able to explain to me ( with the help of their lapbook) how to read a periodic table, what the three states of matter are, and much more.
I also need to add that we did this all while on the road. I did not have to carry around books, and plans, etc. I just took out the e-book and taught out of that. It was very simple. If you teach your children at home and are interested in a fun and comprehensive way to teach, I would reccomend that you give Hands of A Child a trial.
If you want to check out lapbooks for yourself visit
www.handsofachild.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment